Friday, February 22, 2013

Saturday Snapshot


 

Saturday Snapshots is hosted by Alyce at At Home With Books.

Claremore OK is considered the home of Will Rogers. Known as Oklahoma's favourite son, the turnpike is named after him.


Rogers was born nearby in a rough log cabin "halfway between Claremore and Oologah on November 4, 1879. He rose from a vaudeville career as a sideshow rope‑tricks artist to become one of the most popular humorists in America.

The New York Times syndicated his weekly newspaper column from 1922-35. Going daily in 1926 his short "Will Rogers Says" reached forty million newspaper readers. He wrote frequently for the mass-circulation upscale magazine, The Saturday Evening Post, where Rogers advised Americans to embrace the frontier values of neighborliness and democracy on the domestic front while remaining clear of foreign entanglements.

Will says "all I know is what I read in the papers".

Rogers was famous for his saying "I never met a man I didn't like".
Rogers even provided an epigram on his most famous epigram:
When I die, my epitaph, or whatever you call those signs on gravestones, is going to read: "I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I dident [sic] like." I am so proud of that, I can hardly wait to die so it can be carved.


The Will Rogers Hotel was built in 1929 during a period when the discovery of ‘Radium Water’ created a health craze putting several new hotels and ‘health spas’ in the City of Claremore. It is now a senior citizens' home.




All photographs are my property unless otherwise stated.







No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.