Friday, April 22, 2016

Weekend Cooking



April 2016 - Toronto ON

Saturday we took a walk along the Humber River, it finally felt like spring.





Smoothies - a couple of favourites from the 21 day bootcamp Incredible Smoothies.


Frozen Chocolate Cherry Delight

1 banana, peeled
1 cup frozen pitted cherries
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
2 cups spinach
8 ounces unsweetened almond milk


ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PINEAPPLE LIME SMOOTHIE 

1 cup pineapple, cubed
5-6 mint leaves
1/2 small lime, peeled
small piece of ginger
1 banana, peeled
1 tablespoon chia seeds, soaked
2 cups kale
8 ounces (236 ml) coconut water

Calories: 350 | Protein: 9g | Carbs: 77g | Fiber: 11.5g | Calcium: 26% | Iron: 4.7mg | Vitamin A: 891% RDA | Vitamin C: 472% RDA





Sunday some shopping and preparing for family to come for dinner.

Monday was our weekly lunch out, we are trying something different every week. This week it was John's turn to select and he chose General Tao chicken, he googled the best in Toronto and we ended up in Chinatown.
Click here to wander around the area with us.





Then we had a great walk around the area, the temperature reached 25C!!!





John had a business lunch and I headed down to Yorkville looking for a power converter for a camera we had bought in Australia, alas, the travel store was gone. But I did find some great picture frames for my kitchen.

Back home, we changed our dinner plan as John had had fries at lunch and decided on just burgers, we didn't have any buns so he coerced  asked me to make pretzel buns.




Wednesday I went out for a pedicure and manicure. John had a physio appointment so we went downtown together and stopped for Thai curry soup, the same as I had had with a GF a couple of weeks ago.



I bought new shoes and a top.


John's son is in town on a business trip from Montreal so we met up for dinner. No pics but I had haddock tacos, John had curry chicken and J had fish and chips.




Thursday it was Ladies who lunch, as my BFF and I went to the AGO. We ate in the Members' Lounge.




Pots of tea.





In some parts of Britain, they believe that if bubbles floating on the top of a cup of tea can be lifted with a spoon and transferred to the mouth without the bubbles touching the sides of the cup or the spoon, there will be a letter in the morning. In other regions, floating bubbles indicate that you will be rich and the more bubbles the better. My GF tells me that the bubbles mean we will get money so we each lift our bubbles.
We share our orders. 


Beet hummus with crispy chickpeas, flatbread and vegetables.


Cheese plate with two cheeses, Frere Jacques, made by those famous Benedictine monks at the abbey in Lac-Saint-Benoit Quebec since 1943 and a brie with delicious crispy breads. 






DINNERS



Saturday - liver, cauliflower mash, fried mushrooms and onions. Beets on the side.

Sunday - family for dinner. Hot Italian and several mustards as appetizer,Spanish stewed chicken thighs, kale, sprouts and strawberry salad with homemade dressing and crusty bread.


Monday - out for lunch, leftover chicken and salad

Tuesday - John was out for lunch. Burgers on homemade pretzel rolls, this recipe doesn't require a breadmaker. I have a recipe for using a breadmaker too breadmaker pretzel rolls.

Wednesday - family in town dinner as above.

Thursday - pate, cheese and baguette for movie night.

Friday - at friends for dinner BBQ steak dinner




EATING LUNCH AROUND THE WORLD (IN TORONTO)

Italy pizza at Olympic Bloor/Yonge


Chinese General Tao Chicken at Sawtow in Chinatown (Spadina)

Thailand Thai curry soup at Noodles and Co. in TD Centre Financial District


And a stunning sunset this week.





Cath@Home

Fun Friday Favourites
 

Weekend Cooking hosted by www.BethFishReads.com



Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.

9 comments:

  1. That sunset's spectacular. Sounds like you were busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sunset -- perfect ending for this great post. So much goodness. I really need to move; my small town is all about the college students. UGH. I adore pretzel rolls and was just thinking that I need to do some baking this weekend. I'm going to make your recipe. They look awesome. (BTW: how cool that you've eaten at the food truck mentioned in the movie!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I updated my post for the pretzel rolls, I used the non-breadmaker one but added a link to the one using a breadmaker.
      Also added a link to our walk around Spadina.

      Delete
  3. Yum! All the food looks amazing and I love the thing about the tea bubbles. I'll have to try the pretzel bun recipe. I love them but haven't found good ones locally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably enjoy liver but don't cook it at home. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your About Me, too, and I guess because you travel so much, I never noticed from your Weekend Cooking posts that you're a Canadian! Lovely photos of food and places this week, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Chinese food and the General Tao chicken looks really good. That's a gorgeous sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can smell the pretzel buns from here, they look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.