Friday, April 17, 2015

My Recipe Box - Bolognaise Sauce





I was searching for my spaghetti sauce recipe which I had assumed I had already posted on my blog.
I panicked when i couldn't find it, pulled out my old external hard drive and found the scanned copy there.


I've had this recipe since 1999!

It's been modified by me over the years so I added my changes in red below.






INGREDIENTS


1 Onion
1 3 lb Very finely ground veal
1 small can tomato paste

Salt and pepper
Whole Garlic cloves; (to 5)
Bay Leaves
Dried Oregano
Thyme
Rosemary
1 ts Tomato sauce; homemade if possible
1 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
5 s Fresh basil leaves (to 10)
Good-quality olive oil; to coat bottom of pan



DIRECTIONS


Warm olive oil in a heavy pan
Add chopped onion and cook slowly until it is translucent and becoming golden in colour
Add whole cloves of garlic -- do not chop as flavour may be overpowering for some tastes
Add chopped garlic
Add herbs
Cook for a few moments on a low temperature
Add ground veal, stirring and breaking it up as it browns
Stir in the tomato paste to bind the meat and saute well
Add canned tomatoes sauce all at once
If unsalted, add a pinch of salt
Season -- add freshly ground pepper to taste
Add a generous pinch of dried oregano -- which has a more intense flavour and aroma than fresh
Add fresh or dried bay leaves
Add fresh basil leaves -- never chop the basil because it will bruise and discolour -- tear the leaves instead
Simmer the sauce on low heat for a minimum of 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally
Serve with cooked pasta such as rigatoni



Buon appetito! Serves 8
Recipe Source: Home and Garden TV -- Savoir Faire with special guest, Anna Condotta

2 comments:

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.