Friday, April 24, 2015

Weekend Cooking


Weekend Cooking hosted by www.BethFishReads.com

Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.


November 2010 - Istanbul Turkey

I was chatting with a friend this week and she asked about Istanbul and I realized I had never posted any photos of the Spice Market or any other food photos from that amazing city. We didn't spend long enough there.

It was a dreary late November afternoon as we arrived. It was probably only around 4 PM but like home darkness came early.


Grey and dull but these women give it a vibrant feel.




Rows of spices,oh how I wished I could have bought some! So much nicer than jars in the supermarket. But then I don't buy the jars, I like to shop at the Bulk Barn for my spices, and buy just what I will use.




Turkish Delight! I will never eat the candy bar type that we sell at home again! You know, the dark red chewy one that could pull your fillings out. I think you either love it or hate it, no in between,







A tea break before heading home.


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful shares! I love seeing all those photos of the marketplace! I would love to know aobut each of those bins and what they are selling. I use to love a candy bar called a Big Hunk and it would pull your fillings or actually, your teeth out of your head! LOL! Have not had one is years! ENjoy a great weekend. Thanks for the beautiful photo shares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Big Hunk is like the Turkish Delight I got as a child.

      Delete
  2. This is one place I have always wanted to visit. Love the views. I can just imagine the scent of all the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most interesting pictures to share. Love them. Such vivid colors and I'm betting the smells in the spice area were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how amazing! I can't imagine how wonderful that must smell with all those spices and cheeses. The stacks of Turkish Delight look wonderful. I've never understood what was so magical about Turkish Delight in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe based off the stuff you can buy here but I think some of those could qualify as magical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, vibrant colors, and I can smell the aromas from half a world away. Oh my! I'm fascinated with those jars filled with mountains of spices, and the candy. Talk about a candy store! I love old world culture, they are not afraid of color, stalls of food out in the open. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy seeing your photos! I was inspired by your Vietnamese food market photos to post about one of my husband's recent forays into Vietnamese cooking today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors of the spices and candies and even the cheeses. What a lively and fascinating market. I wish I could get fresh spices like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That market looks like so much fun to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love these photos! And I echo the others... I would really love to shop for fresh spices like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, if only we had smellvision! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.