Thursday, May 29, 2014

Friday My Town Shoot Out



I'm posting over here this week.


May 30: Sculptures - What sculptures can be seen in your town? Show us a sculpture, or more from your town

August 2013 - Toronto ON

Located outside of the University Avenue Courthouse, this 20-foot-wide steel sculpture, created by artist Edwina Sandys (daughter of British Cabinet Minister Duncan Sandys, and granddaughter of Winston Churchill), consists of 11 human “pillars” holding up the roof a courthouse. Because the justice system depends on the participation of citizens, the installation is meant to represent the fact (as the plaque accompanying the installation states) that “we are the pillars of justice.” Moreover, the artist purposefully omitted one human column so that “a person can stand there or imagine being in the vacant space and ‘become’ the important 12th juror.




5 comments:

  1. I must have seen this at some point. It's quite striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sunlight makes difference on them! How beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this but didn't take the time to see what it was really about. So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of the 12 people on a jury. I like the composition of the second shot. It is an impressive piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about the jury, too. Interesting sculpture and interesting photos. I enjoyed the history lesson, too.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.