Friday, December 13, 2013

Saturday Snapshot


 

Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy

December 2013 - Everglades Florida

We decided to go to the Everglades and take an airboat ride through the swamps. No alligators were sighted but they like fresh water.






John's video of some of the ride





 Great blue heron

My new BFF waving to me - much smaller than Toronto raccoons but still looking for food. Their diet consists of just about anything - baby gators, birds, snails, fish or fruit, but their favorite is crayfish. They catch the food, and eat it near the water to wash it down. Their front paws are just like hands as they eat. They are excellent swimmers and occasionally are eaten by alligators.















10 comments:

  1. These shots remind me of the settings of some of my recent reads. I love seeing them...I think I'd be too scared of the gators to take any boat rides, though. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun experience! I like the raccoon waving at you - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos. I have no idea what the birds are, but they look spectacular.. as does the little furry creature. I'm not good on wildlife - as you can tell! My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/Yar0fo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! We've been to Naples, headed down to the Everglades for hiking and driving, but we haven't yet taken a boat ride. Looks like a great way to see more.

    We had a memorable encounter with an alligator on a hike -- one was stretched right across the path. We decided it was time to turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some wonderful photos, especially the racoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to skim through the Everglades on a hovercraft ever since seeing the TV series Gentle Ben when I was little :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fantastic! I've wanted to ride on one of those airboats (although I don't really think I knew what they were called) since I was a kid watching Flipper. I particularly love that first photo of the pelican- they look so similar, but so different to our pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics. I LOVE that raccoon. How cute is that thing?
    And the pelicans -- something so weirdly dignified about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful nature photography and of course love the little raccoon, what a shot! ~ thanks, carol, xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.