Saturday, July 16, 2022

My Recipe Box - Nachos

 
May 2022 - Toronto ON




I am calling this beef nachos but some call it taco salad.
John has loved eating nachos out over the years and I would never try them. I didn't like the nachos. Suddenly in 2022 I decided I would try them, my way. I have learned to like the white corn (gluten free) tortillas and thought they would work. They do! 

INGREDIENTS
NACHOS:
1 large bag tortilla chips - your choice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground beef or your choice. I have used rotisserie chicken and it is great.
1 package taco seasoning - I make my own *
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - we like either the Mexican or Tex-Mex
Small jar pickled jalapeños, drained or fresh

TOPPING:
Sour cream
Salsa
1 large tomato, diced
Green onions, diced
More jalapenos
Avocado slices or guacamole - optional
Lettuce 
Fresh cilantro 



INSTRUCTIONS
FOR THE NACHOS:
Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Spread tortilla chips onto the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
Once onions are soft, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until beef is no longer pink. Add taco seasoning and stir until incorporated. Drain the excess fat.
Spoon ground beef on top of nachos and top with jalapeños and cheeses. Bake in preheated oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, green onions and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!

If using rotisserie chicken, Spread tortilla chips onto the prepared baking sheet. Add shredded chicken and top with jalapenos and cheese. Bake in preheated oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
 Remove from oven and top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, green onions and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!

*TACO SEASONING

This is for 1 serving. I make a large batch and keep it with my spices. Triple or quadruple the ingredients depending on the jar you choose. It will save you so much time! 

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of cayenne - optional

3 comments:

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.