Friday, September 14, 2018

Weekend Roundup


Welcome to The Weekend Roundup...hosted by Tom The Back Roads Traveler
Skywatch Friday
ABC Wednesday

1. Starts with "K"
2. A Favorite
3. King Size

For the letter of the week for this round I am going to go with all things TTC, Toronto Transit Corporation.

Starts with "K"



The King Street Transit Pilot between Bathurst Street and Jarvis Street is about putting people and transit first by improving transit reliability, speed, and capacity. King Street is the busiest surface transit route in the city, moving more than 65,000 riders on an average weekday. The pilot is changing how King Street works, by not allowing through movement at most intersections for private vehicles and providing priority to streetcars. Local access for vehicles will be maintained on a block by block basis.

Barriers to protect streetcar riders from traffic are decorated with art that reflects the neighbourhood
.

Click here for a map for drivers.



I am a huge fan of this project, it is so peaceful and easy to get around the street. 

FAVOURITE

Everyone is a KID!

Shortly after the launch of the King Street Pilot, designed to improve transit reliability and efficiency, the City said that it also aims to “improve place-making and support economic prosperity.”
And with that, Toronto launched the “Everyone is King” design competition in January.
As part of the Pilot, 19 new curb lane public spaces between Bathurst and Jarvis were proposed to be created.








According to a city document on the winning designs, the concept is about how “Every kid needs a place to play and every adult needs a place to feel like a kid again.”






KING SIZE

TIFF Toronto International Film Festival is taking place this week. King St. between Peter St and University is overflowing with film enthusiasts as many stars are in town for the screening of 300+ features and shorts.

Billboards and signs are king size.




17 comments:

  1. A great example of a city where mass transit actually WORKS!! The film festival would be fun to attend. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone is happy about the pilot, but transit riders and pedestrians love it. It's all those people in their cars that dislike it.

      Delete
  2. ...wow, 'K'ing Street was a natural for you!
    ...that sign has me confused, looks like a dead end for the average driver.
    ...I know that I'm a big kid, I haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up.
    ...Toronto sure is a happening place!
    Thanks Jackie for stopping by, enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sign IS confusing!
      I'm like you, Tom, still don't know what I want to be.

      Delete
  3. Jackie, those pretty street cars surely would add to peacefulness, both for the riders and for the residents who also want quiet. The King motif seems a mite hard to get much mileage but it seems the are pulling it off. Toronto seems to be a nice place to live.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have another blogging friend who is attending the Toronto International Film Festival. Happy K and happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a terrific idea or the traffic in the city and I love all the street signs/art. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone loves the King St. pilot, merchants grumble that it impacts business. As someone who worked in the area for years, I can tell you most people using the shops and restaurants are on foot from office buildings or live in the many condos. No one gets into their car to go to King St. As for the many theatres in the area, most patrons use public transit as parking is hopeless.

      Delete
  6. Love the concept of making the city colorful. I especially like those Adirondack chairs. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures, Jackie, from around where you live, I believe it's Toronto? I have been there two time! I also used "Kid" in my blog this week, I used it differently, I posted photos of my kids. I love the hand prints, I still have one from my first grandchild when he was 2 or 3 years old, he just turned 19! Have a good week!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very intriguing and colorful
    Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    ♫ M e l d y ♪ (ABC-W-team)
    http://melodyk.nl/23-K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every city and town should have curb public spaces downtown. Talk about community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mass transit, and Toronto's was great when I was there in 2011

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up in Toronto - but it has been a looong time since I've been back. Haven't travelled near any of this area - really have to now. Great choice for K

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.