Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sepia Saturday

Sepia Saturday

I'm posting at Sepia Saturday today.

The suggested theme is:


You wait 360 days for the slightest hint that there might actually be a sun up in the sky, that summer might actually be a real season rather than a virtual memory that is stuck in there to separate a wet Spring from a rainy Autumn; you wait all that time and then someone decides on a Sepia Saturday theme that concentrates on rain, umbrellas, and parasols. But I am not to blame, the theme picture wasn't chosen on my watch. I am as innocent as a duck in a thunderstorm. as blameless as a pigeon in a puddle. So for Sepia Saturday 185 - post your wet posts on or around the 13th July 2013 - go in search of something suitable and try not to be a drip about it. The theme image chosen by Marilyn has the splendid title "Ave A + E. 7 st" and is the work of the American photographer James Jowers and comes from the George Eastman House stream on Flickr Commons.

I looked through all our photos from Ireland and London from the 1940s to the 1980s and didn't find one photo with any rain in it, or ducks, or pigeons!!
I tracked this one down in 1968 when we went to New York City in the spring and I remember that it rained most of the time. It was in colour but it looks much better in black and white.

Outside Rockefeller Center, I am on the left, Mom in the middle and my sister on the right!

8 comments:

  1. What? No rain in London? Was it Opposite Day? Apparently London was not living up to its reputation, but lucky you! (PS -- how could you and your sister BOTH be on the left?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ground looks pretty wet to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two girls don't look too happy with the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have all had problems finding rainy photos this week, but you have come up with a wonderfully atmospheric shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a chilly wet day. And you were hoping for sun, by the looks of your sunglasses. Hope you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shiny pavements - I could smell that rain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tre tre chic. Right out of Seventeen magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been going to London for over 50 years and it never rained at all when I've been there.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.