Friday, July 26, 2013

Sepia Saturday - July 27


Sepia Saturday

I'm posting at Sepia Saturday today.

The suggested theme is:

187 : This theme originated from an idea by Wendy, Kathy, Martha, Marilyn and others on the Sepia Saturday Facebook Page. Bibles, books, and all manner of old family keepsakes could fit in with this theme.



This case has been the holder of our family memorabilia since I won it in 1958. It contains photos,cards, obituaries, wedding invitations and all sorts of other special items.




My sister's gloves pinned by my mother.



A medal which was pinned in our carriage in Dublin. UPDATE Bob Scotney asked what the carriage looked like so I have added a photo below.






Does anyone remember melody cards? It is a birthday card which you could play on a record player.
"Melody Cards" were popular in the late 1950s. These took the form of an oversized rectangular postcard with the usual address and greeting space on one side and an illustration on the other. The illustration was overlaid with a transparent plastic material into which the grooves were embossed for the recording which was usually musical as the name implies. They typically played at 45 RPM. It was not recommended to write on them with a ball point pen, but these were not all that common at the time.


My grandmother's prayer book which she gave to my father on his wedding day.


15 comments:

  1. I think we had some of those card records sent to us as kids, but goodness knows what happened to them. Thanks for sharing your interesting trove of ephemera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that! You've got me quite curious. My oh my whatever could be inside? ! I just love treasure boxes bearing inside so many delightful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh some lovely memories here. I have boxes and boxes of momentoes. Its very hard to chuck them. I love looking at old birthday cards. I hadn't seen the melody card before. It looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've have never seen a melody card, but there are still some rather 'naff' cards about that play you a tune when you open them.
    I had funn trying to envisage the from of carriage that had the medal you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That case is full of treasures! We have a card/record my Dad recorded when he was away for work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had some of those melody cards (but I can't remember what they were called here in the US); one was red vinyl and smelled funny...love the card in the carriage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Melody card concept was pretty imaginative for the time, I think. Of course, I'm used to their modern-day equivalents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How 'cool' that your family's memorabilia are stored in an old suitcase! Ours, too - some, at least. My grandmother had an old suitcase that eventually became the family archives. I enjoy reading everyone's Sepia Sat. posts because you learn so much about them & how much you have in common with many of them. Fun stuff. :->

    ReplyDelete
  9. O my goodness, what fun. Your own treasure chest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is something familiar about those grooves on the melody card but I'm not sure I have ever seen one. Yet I feel like maybe I have.

    You have a wonderful collection there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have hair from various relatives, and thanks for reminding me of the Melody cards. I wonder where they are now!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A suitcase full of treasure! I've never heard of melody cards , but they sound like fun.As Bob said, we have various cards that play a tune when opened, but it's not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have fun going through that case.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I collect postcards so I am especially interested in the Melody Card. I have seen other types of postcards with recordings, but not greeting postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, happy birthday record-musical card, i have seen very few of those, it was a big hit at the time!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.