Friday, July 19, 2013

Saturday Snapshot


 

Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy

July 2013 - Lake Louise Alberta

Using Wikipedia I found that:
Lake Louise is a hamlet in AlbertaCanada within Improvement District No. 9 Banff (Banff National Park).

A hamlet? 
hamlet is a type of settlement. The definition of hamlet varies by country. It usually refers to a small settlement in a rural area, or a component of a larger settlement or municipality. Hamlets are typically unincorporated communities.

The hamlet is named for the nearby Lake Louise, which in turn was named after the Princess Louise Caroline Alberta (1848–1939), the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, and the wife of John Campbell, the 9th Duke of Argyll, who was the Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883.
The hamlet was originally called Laggan, and was a station along the Canadian Pacific Railway route. It was built in 1890.[3]The train station building was preserved and moved into Heritage Park in Calgary.




 It was absolutely pouring when we arrived so we rushed into the Fairmount Lake Louise Hotel and had lunch.






 When we finished lunch the sun had come out and it was a gorgeous day.  The glaciers at the head of the valley which are the source of Lake Louise's water grind up the limestone into a fine glacial silt known as "rockflour". This flows into the lake and makes it look blue. It IS the most amazing shade of blue. Normally you can see to the bottom of the lake, but due to the heavy flooding the area had received a few weeks earlier it had been churned up.









14 comments:

  1. I've only been in Canada one time and that was in Toronto. My husband is a big rock collector, so we hope to visit the rock-y parts of Canada soon.

    Here's my Saturday Snapshot, a visit to Blue Willow Books to hear children's picture book author and illustrator, John Rocco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of my neck of the woods. Yes, as a Calgarian, I consider Banff and Lake Louise 'my neck of the woods'. O, and good to know about the move to Heritage Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness are these photos GORGEOUS!!

    THANKS so much.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited Lake Louise once when I was a teenager. I still remember the awe I felt. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    My son seldom has his photo taken, preferring to be on the other side of the camera....and he hasn't been back to the states for six years!! We miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We enjoyed this visit as well, thank you for reminding me of the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous scenery! I hope to make it to Canada one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in Edmonton and Vancouver way back when, I have an identical picture of your first one of the lake taken on my 22nd birthday. A beautiful spot indeed, glad to see it's still just as gorgeous. Back then we couldn't afford to step foot in the chateau.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What exiciting pictures. They seem to get more dramatic as you move down the page. Such a huge landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I once visited Lake Louise on a road trip with my parents when I was younger. Unfortunately, it was more of a "stop by" visit. Someday, I'd like to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Gorgeous photos! -Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific photos. This looks like an amazing visit. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always dreamed of taking a transcontinental train trip across Canada ... seeing the mountains and glaciers and ending up in Vancouver ... these photos are just gorgeous and make me want to book tickets tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome shots! This is an area I have never been too... guess I will have to go!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.