Saturday, July 1, 2023

Thor Espresso

 Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

JUNE 2023 - Toronto ON

MAY 2023 - JOHN ST. TORONTO 


Saturday I noticed I had received my $183 rebate in my account. This is one of four Climate Action Incentive payments.
90 percent of direct proceeds from the federal fuel charge will be returned to residents of those provinces through Climate Action Incentive (CAI) payments. The other 10 percent will be used to support small businesses and Indigenous groups.

Saturday was a rainy day so we continued watching Red Rock and had popcorn with a beer.


John heard about a cloth for removing scratches on your car and bought it. I laughed at the "mosquito corpses".


While chatting with a friend on Sunday I managed to sort out my clothes in the event we are sequestered this week. We were told to bring enough for three days. I will also wear another outfit on Tuesday so I have black pants as well. 


I just realized that if we are sequestered I will ruin my Wordle run!

Monday 
Monday Mural was from last week's visit to Distillery District.



I managed not to get caught in the rain as I went to Winners to exchange a sweater, hot the drug store and $ store. John cancelled his golf game.

Union Station food court is ready for summer.



I voted when I got home, there was a polling booth in our building.






Tuesday
Tuesday Treasures was a stroll along King St. East from a couple of weeks ago.


Signs were found last week.


I headed out with suitcase in hand (on my shoulder) at 8 AM. It was threatening rain so I wore a raincoat although it was hot and humid out. I also ended up walking underground as I did not want to get rained on.

On the bus with my favourite driver, who gave me his thumbs out as I crossed the street. He thought the jury sequestering was worse than prison as we have no access to our phones (camera, book, music, crossword, Wordle, alarm clock, flashlight). The hotel room would not have a TV, phone or radio/alarm clock.


This was in front of the bus and I took it as a good sign.


Two of my fellow jurors were with me going through the courthouse security, the officers on duty felt our pain when they realized we had our suitcases.
As usual two (the same 2 every day) jurors were late. We were in the jury room at 10 and finally entered court at 11 for closing arguments. The judge released the two alternates and then announced that the 3 charges had been reduced to 1 which would make it easier for us. 
Both sides made their closing statements, the Defence being stronger. 

P.S. Canadian lawyers wear gowns and our judges don't have gavels!


We had a snack break (chocolate croissant for me) and then lunch almost immediately followed. This was also provided, I had egg sandwich and salad. As it was raining out three of us sat downstairs, none of us were very hungry. 
BTW once the case goes to the jury all meals, hotels and transportation are paid for by the court system.

2:30 PM to 6 PM - The judge did his instructions to the jury. During this period we also had a break where we placed our dinner orders (Swiss Chalet chicken). We were told we would be going to a hotel at the airport which could take two hours in a taxi in rush hour.

Image courtesy of CBC.


6PM We officially begin deliberation and our cell phones/smart watches are taken away after a quick message to family to let them know we will be away for an unknown number of days. We are also told we are going to the Holiday Inn at the airport. Why weren't we told earlier? Well, the court officer told us that she once had a juror's family show up at the hotel!!!!
Judge asks how long we would like to "work" tonight. That is before we leave for the hotel. We suggest 8:30, people are getting jaded. We start talking and take an initial secret vote that was destroyed.
The courthouse closes from 7-8 for dinner. We opted for dinner from 7-7:30 and then back to deliberation. By 8:30 we asked the judge for 20 more minutes as we felt we were close. We went back into court with a verdict. By 9PM, phones in hand, we were tidying up and getting taxi chits home!

Wednesday 
Toronto’s air quality is among the worst in the world due to wildfire smoke from Quebec.
Image from CP24.


John headed to golf and I stayed home.

Thursday John is taking weekly golf lessons, but it was cancelled this week. 
The skies were almost blue with little smoke when we went out.
We decided to go to lunch for fish and chips at a new (to us) place, Fishinn! Well, they were "Gone Fishinn", closed, out of business. Nothing indicated this on their website or FB page.
We walked along Bloor W debating where to go and decided on The Works, a hamburger place, offering gluten free options. The manager/server, Trevor was friendly and knowledgeable, announcing their GF bun did not fall apart. There was also GF beer and a dedicated fryer.
It's too bad that the burger was rather dry and underseasoned and the onion ring batter was too thick (for me). 
Looking at the photo, I just realized there was cheese on the burger, it was tasteless.

It's a shame because it is a great location that has a great manager who understands celiac.




Poking in the s few stores along Bloor.






I needed potting soil and we picked these up as well.




By 6PM the smoke had moved in and it was totally grey outside.



Friday morning and the smoke is still thick, sitting at a moderate risk.

John used the golf simulator 
I decided to take the bus to Cloverdale, something I have only done once before. It leaves at 10 and drops you at Cloverdale Mall, which has a grocery store, LCBO, Winners, Kitchen Stuff, book store, and $ store along with a variety of other smaller retail options.
Well, wouldn't you know the bus has mechanical issues so we never made it to the mall.



I'll end June, Pride month, with this.




COOKING

I did not know this!




Saturday ham and potato/cauliflower au gratin

Sunday chicken wings and fries

Monday hamburger patties, mashed potatoes and beans - comfort food as I may be away for a few days

Tuesday me - Swiss Chalet at courthouse John - leftover ham and potato au gratin


Thursday last night's leftovers

Friday steak, asparagus, baked potato

WATCHING

No Sudden Move 2021 A group of criminals are brought together under mysterious circumstances and have to work together to uncover what's really going on when their simple job goes completely sideways. We enjoyed it.

Empire Season 6 and last season, we somehow had not seen.
 
A Man Called Otto 2022 - Tom Hanks, what else can I say? It was funny and sad, tears were shed.

A Spy Among Friends TV mini-series 2022 is a British espionage thriller television series, starring Guy Pearce and Damian Lewis.
In England in 1963, Nicholas Elliott (Lewis) is working for SIS as an intelligence officer and is left in turmoil when he learns his close friend and colleague, Kim Philby (Pearce), has been secretly working as a double agent for the KGB since 1932. Elliot interviews him in Beirut, and then Philby defects to the Soviet Union.

READING



I Have Some Questions for You had me intrigued and I really enjoyed it. It is a long book, 450 pages.

I just started What Was Mine and am enjoying the storyline.

11 comments:

  1. I'd never thought about jury duty being so difficult. Confiscating people's devices would be a good incentive to come to a quick decision. But there will always be that one person in a group who will argue everything. Maybe not in your case.
    Jussy's hair could do with a gay up.
    A Spy Among Friends sounds good. I hope it is shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to try popcorn and beer.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all: Cool new header.
    And the beer looks great.
    YES to Mosquito Corpses!!!
    Wow, we don´t have jury duty over here, I think. I sounds exhausting.
    Nice signs and murals.
    Didn´t know this about steak, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you and the rest of the jurors were able to come to a verdict and could go home! What a relief.

    I had no idea that is what that was either (the myoglobin) but it makes soooo much sense.

    That Red Fox Ale is intriguing. I am going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful that all of you on the jury were able to come to a decision and then be able to go home! Happy day!

    Climate Action Incentive (CAI) payments sounds very interesting. We need to all be doing something like this if our earth is going to survive.

    And, oh my goodness, that smoke. My son and daughter-in-law are suffering in Chicago, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on completing your civic duty.

    We have just booked our next holiday - we are heading to Vancouver. I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jury sequestering sounds troublesome. Sounds like you worked it out, though.

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT????!!!!!! So does that "it's not blood" go for hamburgers, too???? This opens up a whole new rare-meat eating world for me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the post and the trial recap

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.