Saturday, November 5, 2022

Rise and Shine Anytime




November 2022 - Toronto ON

September 2022 - St. John's NL

This week's post should be titled FOG! We've had a week of it, flights cancelled etc.

Saturday morning.


Saturday protest on the Gardiner.
Diljit Dosanjh's 2022 film "Jogi" is set during the 1984 anti-Sikh massacre, an event the actor-singer insists should be called a "genocide".
Violence erupted in Delhi and other parts of the country after former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards on October 31, 1984. Over 3,000 Sikhs were killed across India. Most were killed in Delhi.
Over 8,000 Sikhs participated in “1984 Sikh Genocide” remembrance truck and car rally organised by the secessionist group Sikhs For Justice (SFJ) which at one point brought the traffic to standstill and blocked the highways leading to Toronto downtown.




Sunday I met with a friend up in our club on the 46th floor, the fog is still with us.



You can see the CN Tower poking above this bank of fog. The one below makes me think of a space station for some reason.


I totally forgot I bought a blanket/throw knitting kit back in January, so I started it this week. I got off to a bad start as I didn't fully read the instructions! Now I'm on a roll, each colour is knitted in a different pattern.
Monday, Halloween, and it rained, of course.



I am finally coming out of my baking rut. I baked these chocolate peanut squares. I didn't think these were going to work as I had to add a lot more graham crumbs than it called for. However, they did turn out well but John said they needed more chocolate and I agree. I found this recipe instead, and the ingredient proportions seem better. I cut them up into squares and froze them.

I also have plans for more baking.


And the fog continued. On Wednesday it was totally sunny at my BFF's place and Toronto got totally fogged in. It continued all evening and all night, making it really weird as you couldn't even see any lights outside.


Thursday


Friday - it finally burned off around 11AM and it was a lovely day.
We went downtown for groceries, odds and sods, and a birthday gift.


This photo is from BlogTO Remi Berthalon (@remi_berthalon)



COOKING


Leftovers were lunch this week - steak fajitas, doner kebabs and nachos.

Lamb doner kebabs

Ham au gratin potatoes Brussels sprouts

Ham and eggs

Rotisserie chicken nachos

Rotisserie chicken and gravy with fries and peas

Alfredo pasta with rotisserie chicken (the bones went into the soup pot). I also made a raspberry mousse for dessert.

Steak baked potato and broccolini 


WATCHING

Ridley Road is a British four-part television drama about Jewish opposition to British Fascism in the 1960s that I really enjoyed. I liked how they incorporated original scenes of 1960s London into it. In the early 1960s my mother and aunts took me to London to visit my grandparents and the scenes of London still being cleaned up after the war brought back my memories of London then, still rebuilding and smoggy with soot.



I caught up on season 6 of Great Canadian Bake Off.

We started Inside Man, a drama-thriller television serial. Stars David Tennent and Stanley Tucci.


I started a Canadian series Diggtown a Canadian legal drama television series. The first Canadian drama series to feature a Black Canadian woman as its lead character, the series stars Vinessa Antoine as Marcie Diggs, a lawyer who leaves her high-powered corporate job to work for a legal aid clinic in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, after her aunt commits suicide.
It certainly embraces Canada's diversity.

READING

John finished Twenty Years Later and really enjoyed it as well.

I started a new author to me, Lesley Kara, The Dare, so far so good.

12 comments:

  1. That is some heavy fog! Gorgeous photos though. I like your meal plan and we just had fajitas, love them. After your recommendation I am currently reading Twenty Years Later. It really grabs you with the opening.

    How I wish I could follow a pattern for crocheting. I have never tried knitting and wondered if it's easier than crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some fog one morning this week, but it tends to get confined to riverbeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mist is just amazing to see here. Beautiful, dreamy effect throughout the series

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your weekend coffee share and great pictures of the fog. I look forward to enjoying sunny and mild weather for the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fog is so thick!! I am glad to see you are getting your baking mojo back. And I am curious to hear your thoughts on Inside Man

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sikh protest is interesting. They are our truck drivers, delivery drivers and taxi/Uber drivers here.
    The fog looks weird but I am sure it is normal and nothing to do with climate change.
    I can never understand how different Canadians are to those of the US.
    You've surely missed Friday night steak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice out-of-your-window pics!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fog pics. I took some pics as well from my upstairs window this past week. Could not see my neighbors houses across the street.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've had quite a bit of fog this week too. Just about every morning. I am new to crochet, so didn't know you could buy whole project kits, but makes sense. I hope your throw turns about good (I know it is is knitting, but I don't knit, I hear it's harder than crochet and I am still learning crochet, so knitting seems so hard to me, LOL)! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhhhhh I love fog so much! Well, unless I have to drive somewhere of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew! That's a lot of fog!

    I'm glad you have made your way back to baking. This is the time of the year that I do lots of it. I'm planning to participate in a cookie baking contest on Wednesday at our naturalist group, so that should be a good start.

    I heard a wonderful speaker who is a Sikh at the Texas Book Festival yesterday. I was delighted to find that his book is coming to my library.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.