Friday, June 8, 2018

Cheese Platter


June 2018 - Toronto ON

Saturday

Cee's Odd Ball Challenge

I tried lemon butter chicken which was okay, but probably would work better with bone in skin on thighs.


Sunday

Inspired Sunday Bloor St. West
Shadow Shot Sunday Ryerson University
Past Meets Present King St. West
One Word Sunday Oojamaflip


Other than a run to the garden centre in hopes of some house plants, it was a lazy day. I did get a red geranium for the balcony.


A new recipe Indian spiced lamb chops along with balsamic soy roasted mushrooms were on the menu tonight. Didn't enjoy the lamb chops, they were too gritty.


Monday
Monday Mural
Wordless
Foto Tunes


It was an errand/chores kind of day.

I made slow cooker Mongolian beef  from my recipe box which is easy and delicious.


Tuesday
Tuesday Treasures


The day started on a sad note with news of Kate Spade's suicide. I never buy or wanted designer bags but the one that I do own is a Kate Spade.



The week, so far, has been cool and cloudy but we headed out to Brueckner Rhododendron Gardens as they had stated the flowers were at their best.





John's shots





Vietnamese meatballs, passable, and the perfect recipe for fried rice, along with a peanut dipping sauce as the meatballs had none.


Wednesday
Cee's Fun Foto Challenge

I set out early for a mani pedi then headed downtown for a haircut.

Outside the salon on King St, another new installation.


Outside Scotiabank.


My library card was up for renewal and I knew that D Day ceremony was taking place at City Hall.





Mayor John Tory











Wandering back I found this display in FCP.



John came in from golf around 8 PM so we had pea soup and I made these cheddar cheese biscuits, that were a flop last week as I forgot the baking powder, and they were perfect this time.


Thursday
Thursday Doors

We did our civic duty and cast our ballot. Now, fingers crossed, that DOFO doesn't get in!!


I had planned on going out but changed my mind, instead planning on relaxing before we went out. But then I got a call that I had a delivery...the first set of dishes I bought. That led to a total cleaning and rearranging of most of my kitchen cupboards!!


By then it was time for an early dinner and we headed out on the shuttle.

As we walked to Yonge St. all the banks are celebrating June as Pride Month.



Since we had set out to have some time to stroll Yonge St. Dundas Square.



The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres are a pair of stacked theatres. The Winter Garden Theatre is seven storeys above the Elgin Theatre. They are the last surviving Edwardian stacked theatres in the world.
Yes, it is a long climb up!


Can you believe we've never seen Grease???


A band played while we waited for the doors to open and there were plenty of photo ops.


Seated in this 'atmospheric' country garden under the stars, painted with murals of plants and garden trellises, with tree trunk columns and lantern lights.




While we waited the curtain was a backdrop for a series of 1950s photos.








Tonight Mark Ballas, in a special cameo performance performed the role of Teen Angel. Mark Ballas, a veteran of 18 seasons of NBC's Dancing with the Stars, is also a choreographer, actor, singer and musician. He's appeared on Broadway in Jersey Boys. Obviously he had some huge fans among the women.

The production was great, sets magnificent and tons of energy from the performers.

Mark Ballas and his wife then performed a short acoustic set by his band under the stage moniker Alexander Jean (a portmanteau of their middle names), specialize in a brand of infectious pop-rock-soul reminiscent of Alicia Keys—and listeners have noticed: Their debut single, "Roses and Violets," recently charted at #4 on the iTunes Singer/Songwriter chart.



After the long climb down from the theatre we walked up Yonge to see the lights of Dundas Square.







Then we walked over to City Hall for more lights.





And then to ruin it all we get home and watch the election results.

The religious right will be running Ontario and it should scare you!


Friday
Weekend Roundup
Weekend Reflections
#RoofSquares a new challenge featuring roofs


More sad news as we learned of Anthony Bourdain's suicide. He could always make me smile with his energy and passion for food and cultures.


John took the car for an oil change and I went to pick up a gift for a friend.

In Yorkville I thought this was a rather creative and pretentious  advertising for yet more extremely pricy condos.



On tony Cumberland at Bellair is this green space.

After a Cumberland Street block of Victorian row houses were demolished to make way for the new east-west subway line in the 1950s, the razed site remained a parking lot for 40 years. Then in 1991, after much lobbying by local residents and business owners, the City of Toronto agreed to transform the one-acre lot into a park, Not just a standard patch of grass with a couple of trees and benches, but a new kind of urban public space.



A 650-ton rock was transplanted from the Canadian Shield.

Saw this cutie in a store on Bloor.


And we had our usual steak dinner.



BOOKS


Not a lot of reading this week.

Finishing off The Pocket Wife and can't say I loved it, a decent read but it felt drawn out.


GLUTEN FREE TORONTO


Gluten Free Toronto my Pinterest page for eating in Toronto


SHARING WITH:

Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.
Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy.
Sundays in my City
Seasons
Monday Walks
Monday Morning Blog Club
Through My Lens Monday
Our World Tuesday
Wanderful Wednesday #wanderfulwednesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous blossoms!

    As frustrated and disappointed as I am in the election results, I believe that in the long run, he will bring about his own destruction, and he'll probably take the party with him. The personality cults that develop around a populist like this- and one who spent four years as a city councilor proving himself unfit for office- are ridiculous, and like something out of a third world dictatorship where the leader is absolute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could believe that will happen. But then we look at the US and have to wonder.

      Delete
  2. Jackie,
    You had quite an eventful week. The rhododendron gardens are breathtaking - thanks for sharing your travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dishes! Such sad news this week -- my heart goes out to their families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your week with us! I was saddened by the news of Kate Spade. I don't recall ever having one of her handbags, but my husband gave me one of her watches this past year for my birthday. I had kept the box in a drawer, and yesterday as my daughter was being nosy going through my dresser, she pulled out the box and asked if she could have it. I hadn't even remembered it was there--but big as day, there was Kate Spade's name on it. I was sad too to hear about Bourdain. I didn't watch his shows nor have I read his books, but I know he touched many people's lives who did.

    The Brueckner Rhododendron Gardens are beautiful from the pictures you shared! I wish I had a garden like that . . . My personal garden is quite bare with the exception of my roses--which survive and thrive through little help from me, I'm afraid.

    The elections here were held on Tuesday--they were just primary elections to set the stage for the bigger one in November. I haven't been feeling too hopeful in general. It's hard to be when the current climate is one of fear. :-(

    I love all the photos you shared about the town. I feel like I got to be there with you for a moment. :-)

    I am so glad you enjoyed Grease. It's one of my favorite musicals.

    Have a wonderful week!


    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new top-of-blog banner is really neat!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping you all the best with your newly elected guy. Every day I can't believe that guy is in the WH. That was a wake-up call for me. I thought we had evolved. Silly me. I think it's grand that people got the govt. to make a park out of the parking lot. Things like that give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll need more than luck with him, he is much like your moron in the WH.

      Delete
  7. Loved the look of the slow beef recipe, though I would settle for cheese, Jackie. And the rhodies look magnificent. Many thanks for your lovely company. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been mighty busy! I love the plaque, very funny, and the flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both the news of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain hit me hard in the gut and in the heart. I love your posts. They're like taking a stroll through your life.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.