Monday, June 18, 2018

Foto Tunes

Tom the backroads traveller hosts this weekly meme. 



This is one of my favourite Irish songs of all time.





It tells the story about Joseph Plunkett and his sweetheart, Grace Gifford. Joseph was a scholar and poet who was one of the planners of the Easter Rising of 1916 which took place in an attempt to end British Rule in Ireland.

Bunratty - 2007


He had tuberculosis from his childhood and had surgery days prior to the Easter Rising for which he was largely responsible. Joseph was present at the General Post Office during the uprising with other leaders including Michael Collins, Tom Clarke, and Patrick Pearce. The battle was fought over seven long days which ended in their defeat.

After the surrender, Joseph Plunkett along with other leaders were imprisoned and court marshalled. Before his execution by firing squad, Joseph married his sweetheart Grace Gifford, an Irish artist and cartoonist who was active in the Republican movement.

She was a convert to the Catholic religion, and it is interesting to note that her sister was also a convert who married Joseph's best friend. He too was executed for his role in the Easter Rising.


Grace - Rod Stewart




As we gather in the chapel, here in old Kilmainham Gaol,


Kilmainham Gaol - 1991

I think about these past few weeks, or will they say we failed?
From our school days, they have told us we must yearn for liberty
Yet all I want in this dark place is to have you here with me.

Oh Grace, just hold me in your arms and let this moment linger
They'll take me out at dawn and I will die
With all my love, I'll place this wedding ring upon your finger,
There won't be time to share our love, for we must say goodbye

Now I know it's hard for you my love to ever understand
The love I bear for these brave men, my love for this dear land
But when Padraic called me to his side, down in the G.P.O.
I had to leave my own sick bed, to him I had to go.


General Post Office - 2015


Oh Grace, just hold me in your arms and let this moment linger
They'll take me out at dawn and I will die
With all my love, I'll place this wedding ring upon your finger,
There won't be time to share our love, for we must say goodbye

Now as the dawn is breaking, my heart is breaking too
On this May morn as I walk out, my thoughts will be of you
And I'll write some words upon the wall so everyone will know
I loved so much that I could see His Blood Upon The Rose

Oh Grace, just hold me in your arms and let this moment linger
They'll take me out at dawn now I must die
With all my love, I'll place this wedding ring upon your finger,
There won't be time to share our love, for we must say goodbye



Oh there won't be time to share our love, for we must say goodbye

3 comments:

  1. ...Jackie, such a wonderful post. History that I was not aware of. Thanks so much, enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wonder what those of 1916 would think of Ireland a century later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had know the song, but not the history.
    Great architecture in the prison.
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.