Saturday, October 10, 2015

inSPIREd Sunday



September 2015 - Dublin Ireland

We came across this down a lane off Grafton St. I would have gone inside but it was very busy with people coming and going at rush hours.


St Teresa's is Dublin's oldest Roman Catholic church and was built in 1793 for the Order of the Discalced Carmelites who first came to Ireland in 1626. In 1877 a new transept was added in Romanesque style.

I had thought that "discalced" was a typo until I came across it in several places.

DISCALCED - denoting or belonging to one of several strict orders of Catholic friars or nuns who go barefoot or wear only sandals.




5th Centenary of the Birth of St. Teresa of Avila


5 comments:

  1. I've learned a new word today. I like the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were Carmelites near where I lived as a child. They were never seen outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting, I don't thing I've ever seen that word before. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was a typo as well. thanks for the explanation and the interesting post.

    Diana
    http://adifferentlenslens365.blogspot.co.nz/2015/10/st-margarets.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmelite Nuns, Doubt you would be able to go in the church to look round. Looks an intriguing place

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.