Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Recipe Box




I have never been a fan of guacamole. But on this last trip to Mazatlan, it grew on me.

So I decided to try make it myself while we in Cornville Arizona where avocados are so easy to find.

This turned out so well I'm adding it to my recipe box. I made it again the next day.

 Excuse the less than tidy photo!



INGREDIENTS
2 ripe avocados
1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup) I used a white one
1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced I didn't have any so I used hot sauce or crushed red chilis

SECRET INGREDIENT - a pinch of brown sugar
Minced garlic - you decide how much
2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh lime or lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
A dash of freshly grated black pepper
1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
I also added a dash of Mexican spice mix that I had.

 Serve with tortilla chips.



1 Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl.

2 Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado.  Add the chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, lime or lemon, salt and pepper and mash some more. Chili peppers vary individually in their hotness. So, start with a half of one chili pepper and add to the guacamole to your desired degree of hotness.

Don't chop the tomatoes or add to the guacamole until ready to serve.

3 Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to prevent oxidation from the air reaching it. Refrigerate until ready.

4 Just before serving, chop the tomato, add to the guacamole and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.