NEW TO ME
The proverb "there's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip" means that a plan or expected outcome can easily go wrong before it is fully complete.
The myth of Ancaeus: According to legend, King Ancaeus was told by a slave that he would never live to taste the wine from his new vineyard. When a cup of wine from his grapes was poured for him, he mocked the slave. Just as he raised the cup, a messenger arrived to say a wild boar was destroying his land. He put down the cup, ran out to fight the beast, and died.
1893 illustration
I use the expression "there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip" all the time! I never knew it was based on an old myth though, so thanks for that info. I always figured it was Shakespeare or something, LOL.
ReplyDeleteHonestly new to me, I heard it watching A Place to Call Home.
DeleteI rally love how we have transformed a single word to a gesture. That was a great find, Jackie
ReplyDelete