Monday, December 2, 2019

Monday Mural

I'm linking up at Monday Mural


November 2019 - Toronto ON


Yonge and St. Clair is experiencing a boom in street art. I previously posted Phlegm's human body of Toronto landmarks in 2017.

Updated photo this week.



The area is under construction with new buildings going up everywhere. And Birdo has added a new mural.







He's done murals around the world and has plenty around Toronto such as the hipster owl on the trendy Kimpton Saint George Hotel on Bloor and his new (this summer) yellow bird on Dundas near the AGO.


It is a 10-storey candy-coloured masterpiece by Toronto’s own Jerry Rugg, a.k.a BirdO, a street artist who conceals his face by wearing a giant Angry Birds–esque cardboard headHis Deer Park piece—created alongside comic book wizard Jeff Blackburn—is his biggest piece to date. “I’ve always wanted to paint something to this scale, especially in my home base,” he says. “I only want to go bigger from here. Hell, if I could paint something on the moon that you could see from earth, I would.” Here, Rugg gives us a bird’s-eye view of the sprawling mural.

Image and data from Toronto Life.







1. Yellow portal
Rugg tried to colour-coordinate what he calls his “portal to the sky” to match the hue of the sky on a clear summer day. He has a sculpture project in the works for next year and is toying with the idea of mounting a super-sized antler on the building’s roof.
2. Deer
Nature is on-brand for BirdO, so he put an ultra-literal spin on this neighbourhood mural by using its unofficial mascot as the centrepiece.
3. Geometric blocks
Rugg uses a lot of geometric shapes to balance his colour scheme. “My friends always tease me for not signing my pieces, but I think these are just as effective,” he says.
4. Check-pattern orb
Here’s another one of Rugg’s signature geometric patterns. “When I painted it, the orb was meant to look like it was on top of the deer, but halfway through I realized it made the deer look like it has a hole in its neck.”
5. Colour scheme
Rugg’s initial mural proposal had a more muted colour palette, but the building owner encouraged him to crank up the saturation.
6. Branches
Sticking to all things literal, Rugg used these tree branches to represent Deer Park’s park. “It’s Dr. Seuss meets Tim Burton: a little cartoony and a little creepy,” he says.

More of our photos.





Before we even saw the mural we noticed the hoardings on this construction also had Birdo's name on them.













8 comments:

  1. ... Phlegm's work is amazing, and I saw birdo painting in Maui last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWOWOWOWOW --Yes, amazing is the word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much detail on Phlegm's mural, he's fantastic. We also have one of his murals here.
    The mural with the deer is fabulous too, love all the details and colours. Thanks for contributing Jackie, sorry the link isn't working, I'm waiting for it to be fixed

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first one is really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to get up there to see it! Maybe when some of this snow leaves I'll go for a long walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would get tired of looking a mural. I know I wouldn't

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.