Saturday, July 30, 2016

Weekend Cooking

July 2016 - Toronto ON

Saturday we attended a friend's 40th birthday party.



Sunday a family BBQ. Lots of good homemade dips, guacamole and salsa, salsa with peaches, beets.




Monday I wanted to go to T and T a large Asian supermarket in Toronto to find sweet potato noodles as I had seen a recipe.


Some T and T photos.
Huge sushi selection.


Duck!



From left to right - rice ball with chrysanthemum flavour, lily flavour and jasmine flavour.


Partridge head and all.


Silkie chicken - a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk, and satin. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four.


Tuesday was a day of chores and stuff. I didn't buy a pair of shoes that I lusted after as I was trying to be practical.

Wednesday I saw the eye doctor and then went shopping. John convinced me the shoes were obviously a wow but alas my size was gone. I did find a royal blue sweater I had been looking for.
John had his weekly golf day at Burlington Springs.

Thursday I set out to visit MacKenzie House and also ending up walking around Ryerson University Campus.
John golfed at Remington Parkview Golf Club.

In the heart of downtown Toronto, stands the last home of a prominent and controversial Torontonian - writer, publisher, politician and rebel: Toronto's First Mayor, William Lyon Mackenzie. Today, Mackenzie House interprets the Urban History of Victorian Toronto.

This house was given to Mackenzie by friends and supporters, when he retired from public life, and in recognition of his many years of serving the community.




Ryerson University is a public research university located in the Yonge-Dundas area.


Check back on Monday for details of  my walk. After that I picked up some groceries and headed home.

Friday my BFF and I lunched and shopped. We checked out the Adelaide Food Market for lunch. K had strawberry banana waffles and I had carnitas from Tacos 101. Disappointing, pork was unfllavoured and uninspiring. I doubt I would go to their restaurant based on this. I would go back to La Carnita, however, for tacos.


Starving Artist are all about waffles, breakfast lunch, dinner and dessert with gluten free options.



The Merchant.





In the evening John and I headed to Canoe for dinner, my birthday dinner.


The RBC building in front of Union Station.



Canoe is located on the 54th floor of the TD Centre in the heart of the financial district. We were here in March for John's birthday. And back in 2012 for my birthday.


We have been to all of Michael Bonacini's restaurants over the years and have loved all of them. Here he is talking about his essential two ingredients you must have in your kitchen.


Everything is impeccable about this restaurant. No detail is missed. 

And the view???


Five years ago none of this building were here.  Sort of in the middle with the flat roof and red maple leafs is the Air Canada Centre.



I have taken the description of our selections from the menu.

We shared an appetizer.
venison tartare
crispy bacon, puffed bannock, pink peppercorn, wild mustard + foraged pickles.
It doesn't mention the quail egg yolk. 


My main.
gin cured duck breast
chanterelles, sweet peas, foie gras dumplings + juniper infused onion petals 


John chose from the tasting menu.
bison strip loin
pressed cheese pierogi, fireweed sour cream + spiced bigos cabbage roll


DINNER
Saturday - party finger foods
Sunday - family BBQ burgers, sausages, corn salad
Monday - macadamia crusted halibut with salad.


Tuesday - NEW slow cooker Mongolian beef with rice
Wednesday - NEW crispy pork belly with roasted potatoes and tomatoes, cheesy cauliflower
Thursday - homemade burgers
Friday - DINNER OUT AT CANOE





Lunching around the world

Vietnam Pho soup at Green Mango Boys Cloverdale
Italy pizza at Olympic Bloor/Yonge
International Burgers at Batch in Financial District
New England Clam chowder at St. Lawrence Market
Chinese General Tao Chicken at Sawtow in Chinatown (Spadina)
Thailand Thai curry soup at Noodles and Co. in TD Centre Financial District (twice)
Mexico tacos at La Carnita John St.
Poland Cafe Polonez cabbage roll, pierogis and potato latkes.
India Aroma buffet
Asian Pork won ton noodle soup
England Afternoon Tea
International Hero burgers
Canadian and Israeli Luminato Food Festival and Taste of Toronto
Indonesian Szechuan Taste of Toronto
Japanese steamed pork bun Momouku
International - Taste of Buffalo
Jewish deli
French Canadian and Atlantic Canada


Photo Friday.

Weekend Cooking hosted by www.BethFishReads.com

Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.


Amanda’s Books and More



West Metro Mommy Reads

 Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view! I can see why you head there for special occasions. I'm fascinated by all you found at the Asian market. I've seen the Silkie chicken on cooking shows but never in actuality and I'd be tempted to pick it up to experiment with it though I'm probably too chicken to actually do the breaking down. I'm also curious about the chrysanthemum flavor. I can imagine lily and jasmine but not so much that one. We just had a new and bigger Asian market open here and I definitely need to go explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've been busy! I always enjoy your photos of exotic foods. Toronto is truly an international city. Canoe sounds like a fabulous restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather than seeing big piles of sushi I would rather see small ones that were really fresh. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!! What a view of the city and the lake. What an interesting market. I've never even heard of the blue-skinned chicken. As always, I'm impressed with how much you do each week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photo of the RBC Building is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a busy week full of good food! Asian markets always yield fun things to look at! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great views from the restaurant! I've never been to the Mackenzie House.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of things to see and do! It's interesting to see what other people find good or important. Nice buildings.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.