Monday, November 24, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. For this meme, bloggers post what they finished last week, what they're currently reading, and what they plan to start this week.
My comments are not meant to be recaps of the story lines as I include a link to Goodreads for their synopsis of the book. I am merely stating how I felt about the book without giving any spoilers.



COMPLETED READS TO DATE - 99


ABANDONED - title?
Thirty Girls
Evening
Frog Music

FINISHED:
The Writing on My Forehead


I loved learning all the Indian history and traditions. The book held me until it neared the end when I found it got a little trite and unbelievable. Suddenly it was like the author was rushing to end it.

The Future of Us

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.

This book attracted me because of the story line about Facebook and computers in 1996. It reads like a YA novel. The kids are vapid and self-absorbed but then aren't most teenagers?
It was a quick, mediocre read, very disappointing.

STARTED:
The Girl with a Clock for a Heart

When George first met her, she was an eighteen-year-old college freshman from Sweetgum, Florida. She and George became inseparable in their first fall semester, so George was devastated when he got the news that she had committed suicide over Christmas break. But, as he stood in the living room of the girl's grieving parents, he realized the girl in the photo on their mantelpiece - the one who had committed suicide - was not his girlfriend. Later, he discovered the true identity of the girl he had loved - and of the things she may have done to escape her past.

Now, twenty years later, she's back, and she's telling George that he's the only one who can help her...
 

5 comments:

  1. The Girl with a Clock for a Heart sounds so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love The Girl with a clock for a Heart but it was interesting. I hope you enjoy it!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and must take part one week.Will pick up some of your recommendations Jackie. My own current reads include "And the Show Went on: Cultural Life in Nazi-Occupied Paris" and, at the other end of the scale the Ivy Malone mysteries by Lorena McCourtney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some great titles and I hope you enjoy them! I can't wait to read your thoughts on them and I hope to see you around my blog :)

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.