22 September 2026

Tuesday Treasures

 Tom hosts Tuesday's Treasures.

August 2026 - St. John's NL

I was curious about this building in St. John's.

Thank you to Rostrose for pointing that I had missing adding any information Google found!

The building was constructed around 1913 following the Great Fire of 1892, which destroyed most of downtown St. John's and its surrounding structures. In the aftermath, the city enforced strict building regulations requiring new downtown commercial properties to be constructed with "fireproof," inflammable materials. 

As a result, 205 Water Street was initially built as a solid concrete warehouse owned by the Baine Johnston Company, a prominent local general merchandise firm.

Between its initial construction and 1925, the property transitioned from industrial use to a financial institution when it was acquired and converted into a branch for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. 

To reflect its new status and prestige, the building's exterior facade was upgraded to feature its current monumental Classical Revival architectural details, including the large iconic columns and grand arched windows.

City tax records from 1946 document its structural composition as a mix of brick, terra cotta, and concrete. It continuously operated as a bank branch for decades under various institutions, most recently housing an HSBC bank branch before transitioning to a vacant commercial property available for lease.


The property was formally designated as a Municipal Heritage Building on July 21, 1989, by the City of St. John's. It is highly valued for its rarity in design compared to its neighbors and stands out as a unique piece of early 20th-century fireproof commercial architecture along one of North America's oldest streets.



5 comments:

  1. Dear Jackie,
    Yes, that is an interesting building. AI tells me it was built around 1913—initially for the Baine Johnston Company—and converted into a bank starting in 1925. Is that the same information you found?
    If you visit my latest post, you can see the "new Okuda" in Vienna. That said, I like the one in Toronto much better. However, I really like the message behind the Vienna mural—and the colorfulness of it.
    All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it certainly looks like I didn't finish that post! Yes, I had found that same information, and somehow forgot tin include it! I have added, thank you for that.

      Delete
  2. ...Jackie, you sure have seen plenty of treasures in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, that's typical old timey CIBC grandiose architectural style! I'd recognize it anywhere. It reflects the days when they took the "Imperial" in "Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce" seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun that our blogging friends and fill in for us. I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Signs

  Joining Tom at Signs2 June 2026 - Toronto ON HORESHOE TAVERN  There is green, and then there is putrid. Irish pub. Sometimes it feels like...