Saturday, October 19, 2024

Pigeon Cafe Bar

  Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

October 2024

King St. W Toronto ON

Saturday - we prepared our Thanksgiving dinner early in the day. Although we are going to my cousin's for Thanksgiving tomorrow, we like to do our own and have leftovers. John prepped the onions (stuffing), the potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and turnip. I made two pumpkin gluten free cheesecakes (one for my cousin) and then made two pumpkin cranberry loaves (also one for my cousin). For the first time, I made my own stove top stuffing and it was delicious (recipe below).


Sunday the turkey carcass went into a pot to make soup. We had turkey sandwiches for breakfast.
Then we headed to my cousin's to celebrate Thanksgiving together.




My pals, Joey and Freddie.


Yum, we started with pumpkin soup.


Monday, Thanksgiving holiday, I backed up the last three months of my blog. I did a load of laundry. Then we just frittered this holiday away.

Tuesday John did a Metro shop, hoping for some bargains. He found a NZ leg of lamb for $5 a pound.

Wednesday, was a bitterly cold day. I did give John the option of staying home...He did ask if he needed a toque, and I said no, which meant I felt really badly as we walked up to the AGO, Art Gallery of Ontario, I did suggest we stop into Marshall's and get him one, but he said no.



Of course, as we were going in the plumber messaged and asked if he could come and look at the heat valve in the bedroom after 5 today. We weren't in a hurry for it as we don't need the heat turned on as yet. So we decided to cut our visit short.

We started with Moments in Modernism highlights the diversity and high quality of the AGO’s modern art collection, which has been built over time by generations of museum curators and patrons. 

This installation will show collection strengths from artistic movements such as Pop Art, Abstraction, Realism, and Minimalism.  An international approach in artistic styles will be presented, including a body of work from the AGO holdings by Brazilian artists, recognizing the global nature of modernism. A selection of contemporary works that respond to modernist movements will also be shown. 

Many of the artists, including Andy Warhol, Helen Frankenthaler, Jules Olitski, Gerhard Richter, and Mark Rothko are well known while others are still yet to be broadly recognized such as Tomie Ohtake, Rubem Valentim, Gene Davis and Kazuo Nakamura. A particular focus will be Canadian artists including Alex Colville, Rita Letendre, Jack Bush, Agnes Martin, Guido Molinari and Norval Morrisseau.

To be honest, we didn't care for most pieces.



The caption of the source image, a clipping from Revue magazine from 16th March 1966, reads:
Ermordete Lebedame: Helga Matura (Murdered good-time girl: Helga Matura)
She was murdered by a person unknown on 26th January 1966.






We moved onto the Canadian exhibits.
















We started looking at this exhibit but it was large and we both loved the pieces but didn't have enough time to take it all on. We will go back in the next week (John wants to eat at Karine's again). 
I'll wait until we complete the exhibit to do a separate post as it is picture heavy!



I wonder how long view will last? The Village Genius Pub has been renamed back to the Village Idiot Pub, a much better name.




We rushed home and then the plumber got delayed on another job. He is doing this under the table for me, so no worries. 

Thursday I went to the $ store, I needed some large containers for freezing soup, as we have been making a lot. I also got a shelf for a kitchen cupboard to make it more useful. I also went and found two sweaters in Winner's and picked up a couple of things in Longo's.
Trees are turning, taken from the bus.


BTW the weather was much nicer! John used the golf simulator.

Friday we were up bright and early so I made John potato cakes, fried ham and and egg as he headed out early to play golf. The temperature was going to 18C and it was an absolutely gorgeous day. However, he did have a frost delay, only teeing off at noon, 1.5 hours later than planned.

I picked this up at Longo's, Living Lettuce. 
Unlike other lettuce, Inspired Greens are harvested with the root-ball still attached. This means they keep on living in your crisper and can stay fresh for weeks!
Simply add 2 tbsp water down the side of your Inspired Greens sleeve and put the whole thing in your crisper. Water again once a week to keep your greens fresh and delicious.

We'll see.



COOKING

I tried this turkey salad sandwich recipe for the first time, we really enjoyed it.

Saturday turkey, mashed potatoes and cauliflower, turnips and carrots, stuffing, gravy
Sunday out 
Monday leftovers
Tuesday Alfredo turkey and mushrooms
Wednesday ham, mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts
Thursday ham and au gratin potatoes/cauliflower
Friday steak frites duck fat with cilantro

WATCHING

I watched two seasons of Sorry for your Loss on CBC Gem, total chick flick series.

The Penguin I loved it!

We're up to date on Accused.

Caught up on latest episodes of shows we like.

READING

I read Astor: The Rise and Fall of an American Fortune by Anderson Cooper. I knew some of the history as I have read other accounts of various Astors. I am glad that I watched The Gilded Age to follow some of the stories. All in all, a good read.

Am I Guilty? was a riveting read, I thought I had it figured out until....

I started Drowning, thanks to Jinger at The Intrepid Angeleno and am also enjoying it.


9 comments:

  1. The gallery visit looks interesting! I love museums, but I haven't been to many art galleries -- I just expect that I won't "get" it, as I'm not very visual. Hope you enjoy your second visit to see everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toque sent me a googlin'.
    It will be interesting to know if the lettuce keeps or not. As I am on my own now, I buy bags of mixed lettuce and I usually throw half of it away. I hate the waste though, not that it is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far (2 days) the lettuce is good, I did give it a watering. I always end up throwing bagged lettuce away too and I also hate waste! If you make soup, you can always throw the lettuce in there.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures. You always go to such wonderful art events.

    Happy Thanksgiving! What a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Thanksgiving sounds delicious and I'm glad you're enjoying Drowning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week! You're pictures are lovely. Joey and Freddie are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The modern art pieces you showed are remarkable. I often don't know how to react to most modern art, though.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.