Saturday, October 15, 2022

Gypsy Tea Room

  Linking up at Marg at The Intrepid Reader

Oct 8 2022 - Toronto ON

September 2022 - St. John's NL

Saturday October 8 Montreal - we had breakfast with John's daughter's family and then got on the road home. The last leg of our journey of 35 days!

We were home by 7:30.

Sunday October 9 Toronto - it is Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.
I went to my friend's place to get our mail and she told me she is selling her condo (in our building) and moving into a retirement home. This makes me sad but it is good for her as she has mobility and pain issues. We will still keep in touch.
As I was going down to visit her, she is on the 10th floor, I turned the corner and almost jumped out of my skin!



My grocery order arrived right on time at 11:30 so we are set for the week.
I spent a couple of hours with my friend in the club while she had a condo showing. John relaxed and caught up on his games.

Monday I was on a roll. I did last night's dishes (I know, John usually does them, but I said leave them) done, turkey meat removed and carcass in the soup pot, and a load of laundry on before John got up!
Cleaned out crap I forgot in vegetable bins.
I also put us on the flu and Covid booster waitlists.
Two loads of laundry done before noon!
I threw out a couple of plants that just weren't looking good.

Tuesday we decided to follow up on our dishwasher we put a deposit on in April. Long story short, we got our deposit back, The owner has been keeping tabs on our request for a Bosch dishwasher in a smaller size, to no avail. We will bite the bullet and redo the kitchen so we can fit a regular sized one. So I am starting my story board.

Wednesday neither of us feel like doing much this week. After 35 days away we are just enjoying being home and doing tons of laundry.

Thursday I visited with a friend in the building. We went up to the club.


Our hibiscus bloomed.


From our window. Window cleaners are coming next week.


Friday John went golfing. 


I was planning to go out but then didn't bother. We have plenty of food in the house.
Based on issues a couple of blogger friends have had this week, I created a document of our weekly recap posts for this year.
Our usual gluten free bakery we order from seemed to be out of some items, so I tried another company. I have bought some of their products before and like them. John had their bread when we were in St.Martins NB. The order came today.



It has been a quiet week after our long road trip, we both needed to just relax and not go anywhere.



COOKING

Saturday end of road trip - spaghetti and homemade frozen meat sauce.

Sunday full turkey dinner with stuffing and gravy, mashed cauliflower and potatoes, turnips and carrots, Brussels sprouts.
AND as I type this (on Monday morning) I realize I forgot the roast potatoes in the oven!

Monday turkey leftovers

Tuesday hot turkey sandwiches and peas

Wednesday turkey pot pie. So the $40 turkey did us for 8 dinners, sandwiches, soup for lunch, and the final broth is frozen for our Christmas turkey gravy. There is also one more lunch.

Thursday stuffed green peppers

Friday steak, loaded baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese, topped with scallions and sour cream.


WATCHING

I watched season 2 of Guilt on PBS, I hadn't seen season 1 but season 2 was recorded. So strange seeing Mrs. Hughes (Carson) from Downton Abbey in this series.

We caught up on our recorded shows from September. The Resident, The Terminator, Cleaning Lady.

We started watching the new series Alaska Daily, and like it.

We also are watching The Watcher, based on real events. I found it to be almost a spoof, but we were intrigued enough to keep watching, although it isn't our usual taste. 
I have a problem with the first world problems of these people. I also wonder why anyone would need such a huge house. Who needs to add hours of commuting to their day? It's not like their kids were little and starting school.


READING 

Catch up
The Lost Chapter has a dual timeline. Florence was utterly charming and I wanted to be her friend.

I tried reading The Martins but couldn't.

An Honest Lie was a good vacation read, although a bit predictable. It is narrated by the young Summer and her older self Rainy. Rainy is a bit dull with a bunch of not believable bitchy friends.

Say You're Sorry I really enjoyed the characters and storyline.

Daisy Darker, although the ending surprised me, I didn't really like this book. Sorry, Tina!

Based on a blogger post, I borrowed  I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter because she mentioned the book is banned in Texas. I loved the book and cannot see any reason why it would be banned. But then, I don't understand banning books.


John sent me this link to the 39 best books of the year from BBC. I put quite a few of them on my TBR library list.

18 comments:

  1. What does Gypsy Tea Room look like inside? The outside is fascinating.
    Great view from your window. Thanks for the virtual coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely autumn colours where you are! I'm not much for city views but that skyline from your window is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures. Sounds like you have gotten quite a bit of reading in as well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Redoing the kitchen will be both fun and daunting!

    there is something nice about being home after being away. Love travelling. Grateful to get back home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never lived in a high rise apartment and or condo.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banned books puzzle me as well, as I can't figure out the rationale behind banning some of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to be home I'm sure after such a time away.
    The lakeside is looking very pretty.
    Monday; turkey leftovers including forgotten roast potatoes.
    Aren't these books being banned in the US so interesting. Not especially the content, but the fact that they are banned and the often obscure reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a very pleasant week! A roadtrip and the joy of coming home again. I know I said it before but the view from your window is very beautiful. What does it feel like to live that high up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'll never catch up, after the trial took up so much of October, but I first want to thank you for the postcard. I'll share it at T Tuesday next week.

    That tearoom looks impressive and your view from your floor is beautiful. The colors are so much more vivid in your autumn leaves. Had to laugh at the monster at the door. Always love the catch up days.



    ReplyDelete
  10. lots of good photos there. what a creepy halloween thingy:=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the gorgeous fall photos! Fun to re-do the kitchen, but not maybe just because you can't get a dishwasher. Can't wait to see your progress when the time comes.

    I'll add Guilt to my watch list. I have Daisy Darker on my reading list, I try to go in with lower expectations. I too loved Mexican Daughter. Now I'm off to check out the 39 books -- cause I really need to keep adding books to my list. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's no rhyme or reason to why people want to ban books. Every other day I hear about a book someone wants to ban here in Texas. I'm glad you loved I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter. I did, too.

    Turkey, turkey, turkey! Around here, many grocery stores give turkeys away around Thanksgiving time, so I usually end up with a lot of turkey meat in the freezer.

    I know you had a fantastic vacation, but I'm glad you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the views from your condo, the colored leaves are so pretty. No biggie about Daisy Darker, I did love the double twist at the end. Saw your comment on my blog about Peter Robinson, so sad we won't get a proper ending for Alan Banks' life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dinners sound really good and now I want turkey and all the sides.

    That pumpkin decoration would have caught me off guard too. I LOVE the photo of the fall leaves, I haven't really seen them since I moved from Ohio in '86.

    I have Alaska Daily recorded but haven't watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the photo of the fall leaves. I havn't really seen them since I left Ohio in '86.

    Your dinners sound really good and now I want turkey and all the sides.

    I have Alaska Daily recorded but haven't watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful views from your condo. All the best with your kitchen redo. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the views from your windows and the club so much! So far I like the Alaskan Daily a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.