Friday, January 14, 2022

Featured Canadian Artist of the Day

 

I should be posting pretty snowy scenes, but I refuse to until we get some snow!!

Popular Classics (The Loved One)
Holly Farrell 2019



Holly Farrell (born 1961) is a Canadian painter.

Nostalgia drives her subject matter, still life being her main focus. Farrell considers her still life paintings to be simple meditations on people and places she has known – there is a sense of the portrait in everything that she paints. Farrell's subjects are the common, everyday tools of day-to-day existence – things that many people are able to project their own experiences onto.

Farrell says:
"Homely is how I would describe most of my subjects. It’s how I feel when I look at my paintings, whether I am connecting to something, someone, or some time. A clear line is drawn to people who are closest to me. My cookbook series is an homage to my mother…memories of her baking pies, roasting roasts – memories of her standing behind the counter of our family diner, lipstick on cigarettes and coffee cups. Chairs, bowls, clocks…other domestic tools…functional things that now hold special meaning, allowing us to reach back for a moment and maybe experience a bit of the past." Holly Farrell - 2017.

4 comments:

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.