Saturday, June 10, 2023

Oakham Cafe

 Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

June 2023 - Toronto ON

MAY 2023 - TORONTO METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

The weekend passed in its usual leisurely style. Two of my Wagjag purchases arrived, a purse and mattress cover, which I ordered in the wrong size!


My peony is holding in.



Monday Mural was taken at lunch last week.



John headed out early to play golf. Early as in we were up at 6:30! I had several ideas in mind but then realized that we needed hot buns for dinner. So I killed a couple of birds with one stone and went to College Park where I picked up shirts for each of us, and some household stuff, and then went to Farm Boy for the buns.

Filming at Union Station.


College Park's atrium serves as a wonderful display area for Haida artist Robert Davidson‘s The Three Watchmen.



The smoke from the wildfires is causing air quality issues here in Toronto. 
Monday's sunset



T for TuesdaySigns and Tuesday Treasures I found on my recent rambles.


On Yonge St.



Bloor St. West


We headed out at 11:20 and then subwayed to Dundas St. for lunch. We wanted to try Dave's Hot Chicken.


 
Service was slow and they were busy. I'm guessing they are suffering from the lack of employees as most places are.
It was good and spicy! We don't need to try any more Nashville chicken places.


Then we went to the Eaton Centre to Uniqlo, I wanted a short, light jacket. John bought a vest for golf.

I want this guy's t-shirt! 

 Then we went to Winners at Dundas Square where John got some summer shirts and shorts.
I returned the grey one on Friday, as it was too small.



Wednesday John woke with a sore neck and decided not to golf. The air quality was extremely bad from the fires so we both stayed in.




The air quality was even worse on Thursday so another day at home. Luckily we have a convenience store in our building so I was able to get potatoes, onions and bananas!

Friday John bottled his wine and met a friend for lunch at The Firehouse. I did some groceries for the weekend.

COOKING

Saturday ribs baked potato and beans

Sunday hot chicken sandwiches 

Monday hot dogs and poutine

Tuesday pulled pork sandwiches (made from leftover ribs)

Wednesday salmon, roasted broccolini and tomatoes

Thursday curry chicken using the spice package our bus driver gave me.


Friday steak (10 oz from The Butcher Shop, delicious) asparagus and baked potato.

 
WATCHING

Red Rose BBC 2021 A group of teenage friends is infiltrated by the Red Rose app, which flourishes on their smartphones and threatens them with dangerous consequences if they don't comply with its demands.

The Man from Toronto we didn't bother finishing.

Red Rock is an Irish serial crime drama series, set in the fictional seaside town of Red Rock, focusing on the activities of the detectives of the local Garda Síochána station and townsfolk.


READING

The Latecomer is compelling and engaging, although the characters could be more likable. Just because you are related doesn't necessarily mean you have to like each other.
I didn't want this book to end!!

I started It Ends With Us, it is just an okay read for me, not quite to my taste, a little trite. I'm not sure I will read the second in the series. Upon further reflection, I do NOT like this book and will not finish it. The handling of domestic abuse and gay characterization was just wrong.

I read The Henna Artist in an afternoon! Then I discovered it is book one in a trilogy!

I read My Father's House and also discovered that it is book 1/3! I knew of an Irish priest who had helped Jews, refugees and Allied prisoners during WW2. But this book wants me to learn a lot more about him and the courageous people that worked alongside him. I loved this fictional piece about the Rome Escape Line.
The writing is beautiful and Joseph O'Connor has done a superb job of transporting the reader to Nazi-occupied Rome.

Terrible Virtue tells the story of Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood—an indomitable woman who, more than any other, and at great personal cost, shaped the sexual landscape we inhabit today.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you might be in a motion picture.
    I had to make a fast decision in England, something I was considering ordering as a main course or a ten ounce steak. I had no idea how big a ten ounce steak would be. Regretfully I chose the other dish. Ten ounces would have been perfect.
    At least you lucked reading the book 1/3. So many times I've read books and realised there it is a series and this book is not the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an extra in a very-forgettable made-for-tv movie ten or so years ago. Still it was a fun experience.

    I'm so sorry you are suffering from the smoke. I do hope this lets up.

    I think I need to try some Nashville chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool that you can get a few things without leaving your building. The air quality situation is alarming! I'm glad that you could stay in.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.