Monday, November 3, 2014

Our World Tuesday

 Our World Tuesday Graphic

Our World Tuesday

October 2013 - Toronto ON

This statue of Dr. Norman Bethune was unveiled earlier this year surrounded by trees at U of T, where the Gravenhurst, Ont. native completed his medical degree in 1916.

Canadian physician Norman Bethune (BSc Med 1916) was a military surgeon, inventor and humanitarian who greatly advanced medical science and helped improve life in his adopted country of China.
The piece was created by Toronto sculptor David Pellettier, the artist behind the ferry terminal statue of late NDP leader Jack Layton.

The sculpture is inscribed with words adopted from Bethune’s writings:

“… I am content. I am doing what I want to do. Why shouldn’t I be happy – see what my riches consist of. First I have important work that fully occupies every minute of my time… I am needed."



6 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful sculpture and I like his philosophy on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sculpture .. I am glad hy include the wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calling by from Our World Tuesday,what a great sculpture, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete